Summer Teen Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Mastery Class
West Hartford School District
LINK TO CLASS DESCRIPTION
There were two main goals for the program:
- Teach skills that would allow students to assist the town with emergency preparedness and response during times of crisis.
- Expose students to possible career opportunities within the various groups that are involved in community response services.
BASICS ON THE CLASS
- 20 students participated and earned their Mastery Experience credit
- Two members of the WH CERT team and one certified teacher.
- Groups who came to work with students - Police, Fire, Animal Rescue, and EMT.
- Class met for 4 hrs. a day for 8 days.
- 2 hours were used for instructional/background
- 1 hour on application of learning
- 1 hour on Question/Answer sections with groups and reflection journals around the WHPS Vision of the Graduate.
- Next year we will be working to include additional “field trips” to the police station, a fire station, water facility, DPW, and possibly others that we identify throughout the year.
News Link from NBC30 on final day of the program - search and rescue:
Paul Vicinus, Assistant Superintendent | firstname.lastname@example.org