Curriculum Writing Institute
Cheshire School District
Grade level/Age Range of Students in Program: Teachers serving grades K-12
Primary Student Needs Program is Designed to Address
The Institute provided a post COVID opportunity to reimagine education by giving Cheshire teachers the opportunity to develop a robust curriculum grounded in the district’s strategic focus areas ---Complex Thinking and Social Emotional Learning. Teachers received training on developing curricula grounded in the standards and authentic real-world tasks with the opportunity to dialog with colleagues from across the district. The Institute capitalized on two components of the Acceleration framework: ( 1) Prioritize essential concepts and skills; (2) Design academic tasks as deep learning experiences.
The goals of the Institute focused on…
- Develop authentic performance tasks that are engaging, rigorous, tied to standards, equitable and demonstrate students complex thinking;
- Create a K-12 digital curriculum library that is accessible to those who teach the course;
- Develop a curriculum that embodies Acceleration.
The Institute was designed to capture the hearts of teachers in a post pandemic world. Seventy-eight teachers attended. A post Institute survey demonstrated very positive feedback from participants.
Most Innovative or Successful Elements of the Program
- Deep and engaging teacher involvement in strengthening post COVID curricula that promote accelerated learning, complex thinking, social emotional learning and equity;
- Cross district dialogue that values teacher voices/teacher professionalism;
- A continual feedback cycle that promoted continuous learning, and contributed to high quality submissions.
How Are the Outcomes of the Program Measured
- Evidence of work. Completed curriculua materials. Products in hand;
- Presentations to School Board and to the general staff with a feedback cycle connected to all presentations;
- Scheduled walk throughs to measure implementation process;
- On-going analysis of student performance data both internal and external in targeted core areas.
June 17-23, 2022, Full Days
Community Partners: Partners for Educational Leadership
Staff Selection/Recruitment Procedures
Open to all staff.
Participants had to make a commitment to attend the full 5 days.
Student Selection/Recruitment Procedures
This work was all about students.
Marlene Silano, Assistant Superintendent | email@example.com