Reform System Leadership & Governance
- State policy will create a framework that defines the goals for the entire educational system, ensuring equitable distribution of resources and holding districts accountable for meeting system-wide goals. In addition, the state will provide the training and technical assistance to support educators in providing student-centered, mastery-based learning opportunities to students.
- The state will clearly delineate leadership roles, including the following:
- The Superintendent answers to the Board of Education.
- The Board of Education makes decisions regarding policy matters, the annual budget, the hiring, supervision and evaluation of the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent contract duration will be increased from a limit of three years to a limit of five years to ensure consistent leadership.
- The evaluation of school system and school leaders will be based on their success in leading transformation efforts as well as on their success in growing student outcomes.
- Enhance stability and sustainability of the leadership of superintendents, principals, and teacher leaders in a school system.
- The state and higher education should review leadership preparation programs to increase the probability that graduates will actually serve as transformational leaders in districts.
- The state, higher education, and districts should review leadership programs to ensure the knowledge and skills needed to be transformational leaders are included in the programs.