Strengthen the Profession
Connecticut’s educators have the preparation and ongoing support needed to implement student-centered, mastery-based education.
Why is this important?
Videos by TedxTalks
Effective educators have a dramatic impact on learning. By some estimates, having a great teacher for two years in a row can push an average student to the 96th achievement percentile.19 Effective principals also have an impact by organizing schools focused on learning, by supporting and strengthening classroom teachers, and ensuring students have the resources they need to learn.20 Successful superintendents set strong goals, align resources with those goals, while providing principals and teachers with the autonomy to achieve those goals.21 To remain effective, educators need strong preparation and credentialing programs and time for ongoing professional learning. Principals and district leaders must ensure schools have the resources to create an environment focused on learning.22
Student-centered teaching is a cultural shift involving virtually every aspect of what goes on in a school and district.
The Core Elements of Teaching Practice in Student-Centered Learning*
* Teachers at Work; Six Exemplars of Everyday Practice; Barbara Cervone and Kathleen Cushman, The Students at the Center Series.
- Strong relationships with students
- Anytime, anywhere and real world learning
- Personalization and choice in curricular tasks
- Technology that is integral to teaching and learning
- Appropriate challenge levels for each learner
- Clear, timely assessment and support
- Supporting social and emotional growth
- Fostering autonomy and lifelong learning
19 Marzano, R. J. (2003). What works in schools: Translating research into action. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
20 Leithwood, K., Seashore Louis, K., Anderson, S. & Wahlstrom, K. (2004). How Leadership Influences Student Learning. New York, NY: The Wallace Foundation.
21 Waters, T., & Marzano, R. (2006). School District Leadership That Works: The Effect of Superintendent Leadership on Student Achievement. Aurora, CO: McREL.
22 Darling-Hammond, L., LaPointe, M.A., Meyerson, D., Orr, M.T. & Cohen, C. (2007). Preparing Leaders for a Changing World: Lessons from Exemplary Leadership Development Programs. Stanford, CA: Stanford University.